On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:30:01 +0100, <trom-requ...@lists.newciv.org> wrote:

Hi David,

thanks for commenting my recent post. Very educative for me.

You asked:

(I would like to know about how it is used and defined in other languages?)

My native tongue is German.

In German language we have "Glaube" = "believe"
and "Überzeugung" = "conviction".
There is as well "Sicherheit" (which has more than one meaning)
and can mean "certainty".

Sometimes we mix the meanings similar as in English.
But not that often.

There is even a saying which goes like this:

"Glauben heißt nichts wissen." which translates to:
"Believing means to know nothing (or to know not)."

Some people - when they want to be insulting - add:
"Glauben kannst' in der Kirche." which means:
"Believing you may in the church, ..."

The English we learn in school is only adequate for small talk
or to socialize. It often does not even suffice business-world
requirements.

What I know of English is mostly from reading English books or
listening to native speakers. That has the inherent danger that
I copy their diction. I cannot recognize if it's wrong.

Therefore I'm always glad to converse with native speakers and
get corrected.

I have a question:

In Christianity they have a kind of triangle.
This is in German:

"Glaube - Liebe - Hoffnung"

That could be translated into English as:

"Believe - Love - Hope"

or:

"Faith - Love - Hope"

perhaps even:

"Conviction - Love - Hope"

Or is none of them correct?

Perhaps you can occasionally give me the right translation.

Thanks

Robin