David,

it seems you quoted me (Robin) in your message below, but
then asked Paul a question which seemingly does not fit
precisely to the quote.

I'll try to answer anyhow.

You asked:

why are MNK and MNBK

and MK  and MNK,

  not opposing postulates?

Answer:

The first pairing, MNK and MNBK, is complementing each other.

For example:
You may have a competitor who works on an invention which
threatens your business. But since you're an ethical person
you can not resort to stealing the competitor's plans.
You operate on MNK ("I'm not allowed to know his plans.").

The competitor may never the less operate on the postulate
MNBK ("My competitors never must know about may innovative
plans.").
It makes sense for him because not all other competitors
are as ethical as you are. Some of them may operate on MK
towards him and thus be in a game condition with him because
their MK is opposing his MNBK.

[Besides that he could any time decide that he does not want
to be in a game with any one of them and simply say:
"To hell with my secret plans. I'm going to publish everything
now because it's for the best of most of my dynamics and I rather
prefer to be at peace". That would be a MBK postulate exerted
by him; which is complementary to the MK of the competitors around.
The issue would resolve peacefully without a game.
For you it would be without any relevance because you would
not have spied at him anyway.]

The second pairing MK and MNK
has no meaning for the Postulate-Failure-Cycle-Chart.
It simply do not appear there. Neither do they complement
each other nor do they oppose each other.

(They are the opposites to each other or the negation of
each other but do not be in opposition from the point of
view of the games partners)

Let's take the example again:

Imagine your postulate - MK - is that you "must know the top
secret plan of that competitor's latest invention".

Imagine now the other - the competitor - in this example
is on MNK which means: "must not know (or have no need) to know
my competitors plans". (Assume for a moment his valence or viewpoint
to understand that.)

The competitor is not at all in opposition with you. He may
not even be aware that you plan to spy at him. He certainly has no
interest to spy on you. He is not engaged in a game with you.

[With his postulate he may be in a game with someone else
(someone who is on MBK which would be in conflict with MNK).]

If that competitor comes to the conclusion that it would be a good
game to prevent you from spying on him he must operate on the
postulate MNBK towards you. Then both of you would engage in a game
because now your postulates are opposing each other. In the
example your competitor would think something like: "Must
improve security against that David guy; can't allow that he knows
about my latest invention."

Make up examples and demonstrate them until you feel confident.
You make your postulate. Then switch into the opponent's viewpoint
and figure out what he would postulate in order to thwart your
plans. And vice versa.

Regards

Robin

---------