On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:26:51 +0000 "Charles Locke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> Blaine,
>
> OBJECTIVE:
>
>    I am not sure of the symbolism of the sticks to the ancient
> Hebrews, but
> I have read that certain tribes had sticks with the name of the
> tribe on it,
> and that ceremonially would unite two sticks from different tribes
> when they
> joined as a symbol of their unity. But if one reads further,
> specifically v.
> 21 and v. 22, the point is that the two kingdoms into which Isreal
> was
> divided would be united. That is, the Northern and the Southern
> kingdoms.

Blainer)  Since Mormons claim that Ezekiel's sticks, one for Joseph and
one for Judah, are books of scripture, we need to examine the passages
carefully.  Beginning with Ezekiel 37: 15-the passage reads,

 "The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying:  Moreover, thou son of
man, take thee one stick, and write upon it for Judah, and for the
children of Israel, his companions;  then take another stick, and write
upon it for Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the House of Israel
his companions:  And Join them one to another into one stick;  and they
shall become one in thine hand. "

There is more, but this will suffice.  First of all, the Hebrew word
translated as "stick' is the word "etz." This is perhaps the most
universally used word in the Bible.  "Etz" usually refers not to "stick,"
but to "wood," and depends on the context in which it is used for
meaning.  If one plays music on it, it is a harp.  If fruit grows on it,
it is a fruit tree, or even a branch.  If one plows with it, it is a
plow.  If a person worships it, it is an idol.
As it is used in the context of this passage, it is clear that the wood
or "etz" is being written on.  Nibley writes,
"In the earliest of all surviving commentaries, those of Eusebus and
Jerome--both trained in Hebrew--the writers maintained the woods, or etz,
were books--specifically, books of scripture."

The passages that come later discuss the coming together of the two
principle tribes into one, of course, but this coming together is to be
facilitated by the two books of scripture--one for Judah (the Bible) and
one for Joseph (the Book of Mormon).  There is no need to take the above
passage out of context, therefore, as the context itself explains the
purpose of these two books.

> SUBJECTIVE:
>
>    I have heard LDS apologists that try to make this mean that the
> supposed
> Hebrews in ancient North America would be united with the Hebrews in
> the
> middle east, but in order for this to be so the verse must be
> totally
> removed from the context. Additionally, there would have to be some
> archeological evidence of this great Hebrew civilization in ancient
> North
> America, of which there is none.

Blainer)  This does not mean there is not archeological evidence.  There
is a great deal in Central America that fits.    One book I have, IN
SEARCH OF CUMORAH,"  maintains that almost all of the BoM history covers
people in Central America.

After all, in the BoM, God promised
> Jared
> that the Jaredites would become a great people, greater than the
> seed of
> Abraham, and I humbly ask, how many Jaredites do you know?

Blainer)  I am afraid I am not familiar with this promise.  Chapter and
Verse???