Izzy,

Thanks for introducing this interesting topic.

I read the page located at the web link you sent. It is very revealing about the personal character of HH in two primary areas: in his integrity with respect to the writing of his two personal for-profit books, and in his questionable abilities and undesirable style as an administrator at CRI.

What I also found interesting was that not one single testimony or statement on the web page brought any suspicion or questions regarding the veracity or validity of any of his Christian works, Christian views, or performance on the bible Answer Man program.

While I would have hoped that the Bible Answer Man was a more Christlike administrator than the testimonials indicate, and would like to think that his secular works are original (or, at least credited sources he used, and with permission), I cannot see that this in anyway compromises his Christian message, either on the air, or in his books. This is not to say that I agree with every comment he makes on the air or in his books, but I have to be a good Berean.

So, should we disregard what he says because there are several undesirable traits in his personality? Here are some other examples to consider...

Moses killed a man...yet was led by God to become the leader and liberator of the Jews!

David committed adultery and had a man killed, yet was still "a man after God's own heart".

Martin Luther was said to be a strong anti-semite...yet are we to reverse the reformation and return to the RCC?

Have you heard of David Jacobs and the "Power Team"? I was backstage at our church while the Power Team was performing there, and heard him yelling loudly at one of our own volunteer workers! I was appalled! But his Christian message on the stage seemed to hold up.

Many other examples abound of people who, while being great theologians, preachers, and authors have fallen in their personal lives.

So, does this invalidate their Christian work? Shall we disregard everything a person says because of undesirable traits in their character? That is a personal decision we all have to make, and on a case-by-case basis.

Now, back to the Bible codes. You said the statistics are there. If you can determine their accuracy (statistics can so easily be manipulated, often without ill intent, to support a specific position! See "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff, available on Amazon.com, for an excellent treatise on how statistics are misused every day) then perhaps there is something to it. But, before making a decision, I always try to refer to counter examples and weigh them out, and HH's article is but one bit of counter-evidence. At this point I hold that Bible codes are coincidental letter sequences, combined with an overactive imagination. Sometimes, if we want to find something badly enough, we find it, even though it may not truly be there. Want an examples of this? Take a look at the many prooftexts taken out of the context of the scripture and used by many cults to validate their extra-biblical 'revelations'. ["A text out of context is a pretext for a prooftext!"]

Perry

PS. Sorry you did not like my monkey business. The operative word there is "infinite". For some fun and further research, see:

http://www.nutters.org/docs/monkeys
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2795.html