Izzy wrote:
> I'm wondering what you mean by "shadow", etc.
> You think we still need to obey God's laws,
> don't you?

Yes, of course I think we need to obey God's laws.  Jesus taught us that
until heaven and earth passed away, not one jot or tittle will pass from the
law.

What I mean by shadow is that the law is spiritual but casts a shadow into
the natural.  People can follow the shadow and thereby illustrate in shadowy
form the true teaching of the law, but when that which is not shadow has
been revealed, then the shadow is not so important anymore.

Case in point:  The Passover was instituted when Moses led the Israelites
out of Egypt.  The shadow is the physical lamb being slain and the blood
being put over the door posts so that the death angel passed over.  God
commanded its observance annually in the place where they Lord would put his
name.  This is all shadow or typology of what would yet come.  Now we
understand Christ to be that Passover lamb, and the annual remembrance fades
in light of the Passover offering which was made once for all.  Therefore,
we have Passover of the Old Covenant, which took one form which was an
annual observance in a specific place with specific rites.  This Passover
was a shadow of that Passover which would be revealed in the New Covenant,
which is Yeshua HaMaschiach being crucified once for us all.  We celebrate
Passover in reality when we believe upon Him and remember him as he taught
us to do.  This Passover differs in many ways from the Passover of the Old
Covenant, yet it really is that which gives rise to the reason for the old
Passover.  In other words, the old Passover is a shadow of the new Passover
which is Messiah.  Therefore, when we observe the new Passover, even though
we don't travel to Jerusalem and slaughter a lamb outside the city and eat
all of it and break none of its bones, we keep that old Passover.  We keep
the old by keeping that which is new.

Another case in point:  The Aaronic Priesthood was the shadow of the
Melchizedek priesthood.  One is earthly, the other is heavenly and
spiritual.

Izzy wrote:
> Knowing Him should make us more observant
> of God's laws than we were before, don't you
> think???

Not just MORE observant, but completely observant.  We are complete in Him.

Izzy wrote:
> The only difference is that I don't lie awake at
> night thinking I'm going to hell when I fail--

There are plenty of people outside of Christ who do not think they are going
to hell when they fail.  Many do not believe in hell.  I don't find much
virtue in this.

Izzy wrote:
> Regarding the Sabbath being "holy" or "sanctified"--that
> means "set aside for holy use", as opposed to your regular
> workday. It does not mean that we cannot worship God
> every day. Everything we do should be an act of worship,
> whether we are resting or working.

You have a mixture of what traditional Christians teach and what someone
like Marlin might teach.  Marlin clearly said that the law required working
six days and not making those six days holy.  That's what he said, and he
affirmed it in his answer to me.  You are teaching something different than
Marlin here.  That's ok, I just want to make sure you see that.

Izzy wrote:
> We were not told to worship on the Sabbath,
> but to REST.

On the contrary, the Hebrew Scriptures command holy convocations to take
place on Shabbat.

Lev 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of
rest, a holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of
the LORD in all your dwellings.

A convocation is a meeting.  Compare some other translations:

(BBE) On six days work may be done; but the seventh day is a special day of
rest, a time for worship; you may do no sort of work: it is a Sabbath to the
Lord wherever you may be living.
(CEV) You have six days when you can do your work, but the seventh day of
each week is holy because it belongs to me. No matter where you live, you
must rest on the Sabbath and come together for worship. This law will never
change.
(GNB) You have six days in which to do your work, but remember that the
seventh day, the Sabbath, is a day of rest. On that day do not work, but
gather for worship. The Sabbath belongs to the LORD, no matter where you
live.
(LITV) Work is to be done six days, and in the seventh day shall be a
sabbath of rest, a holy gathering; you shall do no work; it is a sabbath to
Jehovah in all your dwellings.

So both rest and worship are commanded, and a gathering together in the
Lord.  Marlin was pointing out how the command instructs working six days
and that none of these days should be holy.  He was attacking the idea of
some who hold every day to be holy unto the Lord.  Marlin is against
gathering together on Sunday for worship even if you also gather together on
Sabbath.  He is preaching the letter of the law.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida  USA