You understand correctly. All I was doing was pointing out the fallacy of common Jewish thought.

-- slade

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, 28 March, 2003 07:06
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Post Bible Revelation

Somebody 'splain something to me.  I thought that Judah was the first Jew.  Wasn't Abe a Chaldean, later referred to as a Hebrew?  I didn't even figure Abe could be an Israelite, since that term started with a guy named Israel, and Abe was a couple of generations prior to him.  Seems to me that calling Abe a Jew would make about as much sense as calling him an Isaacite, but then, I am usually wrong about those things.  Someone who knows please explain all this.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Terry
Moshe was, well, from the tribe of Levi. I won't argue with you there... even though nearly every Jewish commentary says the Sons of Yisrael during the Exodus (and Moshe himself) were all "Jews." It's quite silly, actually. (In fact, Avraham was the first "Jew," did ya no?)

It becomes problematic when we use "Jew" as a generic term for the "Sons of Yisrael."

-- slade