Blaine wrote:
> I haven't seen you (or anyone, for that matter) show
> much of anything CONCLUSIVELY.

One of the main problems with "conclusive proof" is that unlike the
Bible, we do not have the gold plates which supposedly were used to
translate the texts.  However, that is not the case with the book of
Abraham.  The last time you were on TruthTalk, we were talking about the
Book of Abraham.  In fact, it was my impression that you left TruthTalk
because you could not answer the embarrassing questions about this book,
but the timing of your leaving may have just been a coincidence with
this topic.  If you remember, I desired for both you and Dave Hansen to
read a book by Charles M. Larson entitled, "... by his own hand upon
papyrus."  It examines the claim by Joseph Smith that the book of
Abraham was written "by his own hand upon papyrus."  I think the book
conclusively proved beyond any doubt that Joseph Smith was a con man and
that he lied about his ability to translate the Egyptian text.  This is
corroborated by his legal conviction as a con man prior to his rise to
fame as a religious leader.

Of course, the only truly conclusive proof would be if Joe Smith where
here today and we could put him on trial and then he broke down in tears
and confessed to his trickery.  Even then, I think there would be some
Mormons who would think he just caved in as any mortal man would under
pressure and they would still believe that God was using Joe even when
he himself thought he was deceiving people.  Ultimately, people will
believe what they want to believe, and they can find many ways to
believe it if they want to.

Blaine, what kind of evidence would persuade you to turn away from
Mormonism? Is there any evidence at all?  Have you ever thought about
this?

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.