Kevin wrote:
The BoM is a work of FICTION:

Blaine writes:  There is so much about the book of Mormon that tells us it is true, we don't need to know exactly where everything was, but we believe and have faith it will be revealed in the Lord's own due time anyway--He has not failed us yet.  We know God is testing our faith--He will pull our very heartstrings to see if we can stand it, and if we can't, we are not fit for the Kingdom of God--so, Kevin, and Judy, when the locations are eventually shown to man, you will be ashamed for not having had more faith, while we will be rejoicing, having had our faith tested, and having kept the faith as true and loyal servants.  Our confidence will wax strong in the presence of God, but you will go away with your heads hanging down, unless you repent of your arrogance and pride.
BTW, there are already several newer books written by BYU people regards the locations in the BoM--very interesting stuff.  But considering you are so anxious to make anything favorable to Mormonism appear wrong, or evil, I have fears you will not read them, or if you do read them, you would  just fault them.  Your quotes below  are all back in the 60's and 70's-- any new stuff?  I do have some things written more recently--all one has to do is vistit Deseret Book Store.  Thye shalves get fuller and fuller.

Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Geography of Never Never land

The BoM is a work of FICTION:
BoM Student Manual Religion 121 & 122 published by the churchpg 163 has a map under the title "Possible Book o Mormon sites"

under the map we find this interesting tidbit of information
"NO EFFORT should be made to identify points on this map with any EXISTING geographical locations"

The Smithsonian Institution has never used the Book of Mormon in any way as a scientific guide. Smithsonian archeologists see no direct connection between the archeology of the New World and the subject matter of the book." ("Statement Regarding The Book of Mormon," Smithsonian Institution, Spring 1986)

Michael Coe Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Summer 1973. After telling of the Mormon belief in Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, he frankly stated: "Let me now state uncategorically that as far as I know there is not one professionally trained archaeologist, who is not a Mormon, who sees any scientific justification for believing the foregoing to be true,... nothing, absolutely nothing, has ever shown up in any New World excavation which would suggest to a dispassionate observer that the Book of Mormon... is a historical document relating to the history of early migrants to our hemisphere." (pp.42, 46)

"The first myth we need to eliminate is that Book of Mormon archaeology exists…. If one is to study Book of Mormon archaeology, then one must have a corpus of data with which to deal. We do not. The Book of Mormon is really there so one can have Book of Mormon studies, and archaeology is really there so one can study archaeology, but the two are not wed. At least they are not wed in reality since no Book of Mormon location is known with reference to modern topography. Biblical archaeology can be studied because we do know where Jerusalem and Jericho were and are, but we do not know where Zarahemla and Bountiful (nor any other location for that matter) were or are. It would seem then that a concentration on geography should be the first order of business, but we have already seen that twenty years of such an approach has left us empty-handed." (Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Summer 1969, pp. 77-78)

Kevin Deegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Long ago & far away....

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,585038271,00.html

 SACRED SITES: Searching for Book of Mormon Lands, by Joseph L. Allen

Joseph Allen starts with a premise of the LDS faith: "The Book of Mormon is a real history. It speaks of real people. The events recorded within its pages happened somewhere."

But where?

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?