From: "Wm. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Good Morning Bill/WT:
Thanks for your explanation which I deleted for the sake of brevity ... to begin with we can agree that Christ is Lord of all and that's a start. So far as I know there are no limits on this forum other than personal/ad hominem attacks and as long as we are discussing ideas rather than attacking persons there is no problem.

WT: If the rubric is Truth, then history has a share in it; not because all history is Truth, but because Truth passes through all history. I get the impression that some in this community think that they are in the "Bible/Spirit" room and if someone else wants to discuss philosophy or science or something else, he or she can do so, but to do so, he will have to leave behind the stuff of the Bible. In other words, these other things are fine, but they do not belong under the heading of "Truth." Well, that is absurd. Why? because it impugns Christ. It is to say that Christ is Lord here in the Bible room, but there is no room for Christ in philosophy or science -- or history.

JT:  I can agree that truth passes through all history but all history is not recorded truthfully.  Kind of like figures don't lie but liars do figure. It is my understanding that there are two kinds of wisdom out there just as there were two trees in the garden and as Christians we are to discern between them. Philosophy, science, and history are a mixture, some of which may be true.  However, for a believer Truth is a person.  His name is Jesus and he is made to us wisdom from God and in Him are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col 2:3)

WT: Christ is Lord, not because I say so, not because you say so, but because Christ is Lord. If I don't accept that, then I need to change. But if Christ is Lord, and if I am doing what he commanded of me, like taking every thought captive to his obedience and loving him and my neighbor, then I ought to be able to be confident in that I can go to Christian history and find in it something of pertinence to say in the "Bible" room. Thanks for the aside. Since I'm the big context-guy, I think that rather than picking and choosing what things I want to respond to and then scrapping the rest to never never land, I will leave our comments intact and preface today's statements with WT, thus allowing the context to remain intact.

JT: Hope you don't mind if I just respond to today's statements - if you prefer to go back to the whole later, no problem here.
JT: Mr. Torrance's language tells me he is a misguided Calvinist and when one begins with a faulty premise......

WT: This is a classic ad hominem; rather than rebutting the argument by appealing to reason, you said nothing about the argument, instead you attacked the man by appealing to prejudice.

JT: When I wrote the above I did not consider it to be ad hominem, I don't know the man. I was commenting on his ideas and made that statement.
because I've been there, done that.  I had to learn the hard way to be Berean and check everything I hear/read in God's Word myself. Of course this does not include secular  philosophy, science, and history but they IMO are not in the category called Truth if we use the scriptural definition.

WT: If it is light, what difference does it make if it is coming through Calvin or Camels; it is still light? Calvin would have been the first to say that any light found shining around him was sourced not in himself but in the True Light which came into the world.

JT: If it conflicts with or contradicts the Word of Truth then there is a problem. Calvin's doctrine does this causing no end of confusion. He was still in Roman Catholicism when he began his writings and a very young man (in his early 20's). I don't see godliness in the fruit of his life. He lorded it over Geneva and had a man burned at the stake for disagreeing with him.  I'll leave the judgment to God and go to Jesus Himself who is the one with ALL light and who is ALL truth.

<snip> I'm not baiting you Bill, just stating what I understand from scripture which is that Jesus the man became fallen and depraved from the 6th to the 9th hour; which is when the light of the world went out and darkness covered the earth (Matt 27:45, Mark 15:33); he cried "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me" because for the first time ever he had become separated from the Father because of OUR SIN.

WT: I am really quite glad that you said this, because in doing so what you've done implicitly is what we all have to do sometimes when trying to state biblical truth; that is, we have to assimilate or summarize or synthesize from things not stated expressly, in order to state what we believe to be a just-as-true statement of the truth. And while I do not agree with your summary, I will both defend your right make it and refuse to call it anything less than entirely appropriate to draw. Good job, you are doing theology.

Now that you have opened the door :>) I would like to respond to this by doing some theology myself. Rather than understanding the "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me" as an _expression_ of despair, I would like to cast it in a different Light. I would like to suggest that in his exhaustion and pain and humiliation the Son was trying to kick-start in the minds of his accusers a very familiar story, with a very happy ending. Psalm 22.1 begins with this most haunting cry, and both Matthew and Mark tell us that Jesus took it up when he was dying on the cross.

JT: This is because Psalm 22:1 is a Messianic prophecy which came through King David who was a Prophet/King.

WT: It is very natural for us, steeped as we are in the legal framework of Western Evangelical thought, to see this cry of Jesus as the supreme _expression_ of his passion. With the justice of God in the background, Jesus takes upon himself our sin and God unleashes upon him the fury of his eternal wrath. And in that horrible, unthinkable moment, Jesus cries out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me." But is this the correct interpretation of this verse?

JT: It says what it means and means what it says Bill - and it certainly does not sound like joy-bells to me...

WT: What if we read it as true Trinitarian Christians, with the Triune God, not the legalized God of holy anger, in the back of our minds.

JT: I'm not sure what a "trinitarian Christian" is since trinity is not a Biblical word. The scriptures speak of the Godhead but the term trinity comes out of the RCC, not only that but it has become very controversial.

WT: Again, and I know you know this, this cry of Jesus is a direct quotation from Psalm 22. If we read the Psalm as a whole, we find the message does not end in despair at all, but in Victory; in fact, it ends with the remarkable prophesy, "All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will worship before You. ... They will come and will declare His righteousness to a people who will be born, that he has performed it" (27&31). Between the cry and the prophecy lies the whole range of human emotion. The first two verses are words of deep despair: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? ...

JT: We should stop here and understand that Messianic prophecy in scripture is interspersed with the rest in all the OT and in Vs2-5 of Psalm 22 David is speaking of his own experience.  This could not be Jesus because in his own words Jesus said that the Father always heard him even when he didn't speak out loud (see John 11:42); (I'm assuming here that you agree that we should interpret scripture in light of other scripture...)

WT: O my God, I cry by day but you do not answer." The anguish of the Psalmist is heightened in that his cries are met by stone-cold silence. But in his despair he rehearses the faith of his fathers. He goes back to the old stories of God's faithfulness: "In you our fathers trusted; the trusted and you delivered them. To you they cried out and were delivered. In you they trusted and were not disappointed" (4-5). But then the psalmist takes a turn into deeper despair and darkness: "But I am a worm, and not a man. A reproach of men, and despised by the people" (6).

JT: In Psalm 22, Vs.6 we are back at the cross and the word for worm (tola) used here refers to man in his sinful state before a Holy God; it is also used in Job 25:6 and Isaiah 41:14 and here (from the cross) it is a statement of Truth.

WT: He is well aware of the heroes of the faith, but I, he thinks to himself, am not a hero. I am not even a good person. Even the people despise me. They mock my trust in God. Go ahead, they say, commit yourself to the Lord and see what happens. Let the Lord deliver you. Then the Psalmist looks away from himself and the people and sets his eyes again upon God. "Yet," he says, "You are the One who brought me forth from the womb. You made me trust when I was at my mother's breast. Upon you I was cast from birth and you have been my God from my mother's womb" (9-10).

JT: Jesus said all along that he came forth from God and this is the reason he prayed out loud in John 11:42 (so the rest of the people would believe this).

WT: Here the Psalmist cries out for deliverance: "Be not far from me, for trouble is near; for there is none to help. Many bulls have surrounded me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me. They gape at me with their mouths, Like a raging and roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; It has melted within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue clings to my jaws; you have brought me to the dust of death. For dogs have surrounded me; the congregation of the wicked has enclosed me. They pierced Mm hands and my feet; I can count all my bones. They look at me and stare. They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. But You, O LORD, do not be far from me; O my Strength, hasten to help me! Deliver me from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog. Save me from the lion's mouth and from the horns of the wild oxen! You have answered me. I will declare Your name to my brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will praise You" (11-21). The trauma of the Psalmist is staggering. His insides are shredded with fear. He has no courage and no hope. He is crying out to God for help, for deliverance.

JT: I read this as a very vivid description of what the crucifixion was like physically and emotionally. I don't believe King David had this kind of a personal experience in his own life.

WT: Then the Psalmist makes another turn. The despair ends, and praise begins and the whole ordeal comes to a victorious end, such that coming generations will look back on this event and see that the Lord has performed his salvation: "I will declare Your name to my brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will praise You. ...

JT: This is also a prophetic statement concerning Jesus ministry to his Church post Calvary - see Hebrews 2:12; he certainly didn't do any singing from the cross.

WT: For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; nor has He hidden His face from Him; But when He cried to Him, He heard" (22, 24) "My praise shall be of You in the great assembly; I will pay my vows before those who fear Him. ... All the ends of the world Shall remember and turn to the LORD, And all the families of the nations shall worship before You. For the kingdom is the LORD's, And he rules over the nations. All the prosperous of the earth shall eat and worship; all those who go down to the dust Shall bow before Him, even he who cannot keep himself alive. A posterity shall serve Him. It will be recounted of the Lord to the next generation, they will come and declare His righteousness to a people who will be born, that He has done this" (25, 27-31). This Psalm begins with agony and culminates in God's victorious intervention and to a prophecy that the coming generations will look back upon this moment as the salvation of the Lord of Hosts.

So, the question must be asked, Why did Jesus quote the first verse of this Psalm from the cross? because in his day--and this is where knowledge of extra-biblical history comes in--to hear the first verse of a Psalm was like hearing the beginning of a favorite song. The tune kick-starts the tape in our heads and sends us singing the rest of the song. So familiar with the Psalms were the Jews that to hear the first line was to hear the whole Psalm. When Jesus quoted from the first line of Psalm 22, he set the whole Psalm playing in their heads. And in so doing, he was interpreting the event of his passion and death for them.  On the cross Jesus surely identified with the suffering of the Psalmist, but he also identified with the whole Psalm. What is happening on the cross? What is the meaning of this event? This is what we must ask -- and Jesus is answering all of these questions; he is saying, Here it is, right here is Psalm 22. It looks as though all is lost. It looks as though the dogs are winning and as if God has abandoned him, utterly forsaken him to the abyss. But not so!

JT: I don't know about all that Bill.  How many Jews were even there? This would do nothing for the Romans and the religious leaders had already rejected him in fact they are the ones who insisted on sending him to the cross; it's not as though the light came on for them and they all turned up 50 days later in the upper room to wait for the promise. Apparently most of them didn't even understand the scriptures - understanding came through the ministry of the Holy Spirit which they had not yet received (see Luke 24:44,45).

WT: "For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from Him; But when He cried to Him, He heard." (24) Judy, you want to say that God forsook his son; indeed, the very opposite is true!

JT: I am not saying God rejected his son; what I am saying is that this was part of the price Jesus paid when he took our sin upon himself. He knew up front how it would be which is why he shed great drops of blood in the garden of Gethsemane and yet the amazing thing is that he still went through with it for the joy that was set before him - despising the shame. (see Hebrews 12:2)

WT: In the greatest of ironies, the cry of Jesus, "My God, my god, why have you forsaken me?" actually sets in motion a line of thought that completely reinterprets what is happening on the cross. Far from being a perverse moment when the angry God (of Jonathan Edwards, if you want to know where your theology comes from, where this angry God) pours out his wrath upon the Son and utterly rejects him,

JT: Wrong on both counts Bill.  My theology does not come from Jonathan Edwards and I do not believe God ever rejected his son. After all he can not deny himself can he? Nor do I believe this was a "perverse moment"  It is totally in keeping with the nature and character of a holy God who can not deny Himself or His Word. God can not abide sin and iniquities -  they create a wall between creature and creator; so God in his holiness  hid his face from Jesus during his time on the cross (for a moment in the light of eternity) because as both sacrifice & scapegoat he was laden with OUR sin. But when it was finished, it was finished.  He was justified in Spirit and the work was done.

WT: the Cross is the moment when the Father absolutely refuses to forsake his Son; it is the moment of moments when he does not hide his face, or turn his back on him in abandonment. Far from being the moment win the wrath of God is vented upon the Son, the Cross is the event where the relationship between the Father and the Son is the most triumphant. Yes, in sin's greatest darkness, Jesus penetrated to the core of Adamic estrangement, where everything shouts that God has rejected us and abandoned us to the abyss. But it was precisely there, precisely in that estrangement, that fallenness and depravity, "where humanity is at its wickedest in its enmity and violence against the reconciling love of God" (Torrance), that the fellowship of the Father and Son and Spirit stood fast.

JT:  You've completely lost me here Bill.  What are you and Prof Torrance saying?

WT: This we know, when we let the Trinity guide our thinking through the Bible.

JT: The trinity is what was guiding the RCC for so long - I prefer to honor the Godhead and allow the Holy Spirit to lead me into ALL Truth... as well as guide my thinking.

I need to thank Baxter Kruger, a wonderful professor of theology and Church history in Jackson, MS, for first enlightening me to this Truth. I'm tired. I'll get to the rest of your remarks later. Thanks for being patient, while we wade though this.

JT:  I'm not sure what you refer to here Bill but if it is that God did not turn away from Jesus on the cross then this conflicts with the clear teaching of scripture so I would not classify it as truth.  How do these professors explain what happened from the 6th to the 9th hour?

Hope you get some rest and refreshment,
Grace and Peace,
Judy