John, you say > "A second reason for the confusion (as I understand it) is
that God did not chose to explain Himself to us.   Without "official"
explanation, we have only conjecture.   Each of the three are there, in the
inspired text.     I am afraid that if we try to explain what has not been
fully revealed, we give the enemy another target."

I say > I can't let this go without weighing in. Please bear with me. This
quote conjures pictures in my head of a couple bored tea-drinkers trying to
think of something to do with the rest of their day. "Well," said one of
them, "why don't we conjecture something about God." The other one says,
"Yes, let's do, and why don't we make it about something which has never
been talked about." And since they were bored and ornery, they spent not
only the rest of the day, but the rest of their lives building on this
imaginary doctrine, the fallout being that we here in the 21st century can't
figure out how to get away from their conjectures and back to something more
biblical to say about the God of the Bible.

Well, that is just ridiculous. [:-)   The Trinity/person language of the 3rd
century developed out of real-time struggles to preserve biblical truths
about God and the Incarnation. It's not like Arius, the heretic who started
the controversy, did not believe the Bible was the word of God. He was a
very devout man. He believed the things he said about Jesus Christ, and he
thought they were biblical. The problem was, he thought the Bible taught
there was a time when the Son was not. Well now, if that were true, what
would it do to the Hebrew idea of one - ness? What would the unity of God
become if the Son and Holy Spirit just happened to disappear? Unity demands
a coming together, a subject-object relationship. A single mark on a piece
of paper is not unity. It is nothing more than a singularity. The Hebrew God
cannot be who he is, if two of the three participants are not involved and
not eternal. All he is then is just an idea, a mark on a piece of paper. The
early fathers knew that something must be done to preserve this
Hebrew/biblical one - ness reality of God.

The question was, how was the church going to convince a man who believed
the Bible that he was wrong about what the Bible taught? How were they going
to convince his followers that he was wrong. The church did the only thing
it could do; it developed ways of clarifying and defending and talking about
biblical truths about the Godhead and the incarnate Son. Hence we have the
doctrines of the Trinity and personhood.

The answer now, it seems to me, is not to trash the language -- as if that
will make the controversy go away -- but to learn how to speak it in a way
that is both historically and biblically accurate, while meaningful and
true.

Thanks,
Bill Taylor