Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:16 AM
Subject: [TruthTalk] POLYANI AND THE HOLY SPIRIT

Lance. Thank you. Finally some clarity.
What is the problem with admiring another's contribution?

jt: Contribution to what? Philosophy, art, myth, and religion?  What does this have
to do with life and truth?  The man did not know Jesus and he was not led by the
Holy Spirit.  Guaranteed.

I don't get it. Were certain ones among us born under a rock (read pebble)?
Were they not influenced by someone, anyone along the way, maybe a mother or
a dad? And what if ma and pa have passed away, are they not part of the history
from which sons and daughters draw when determining right from wrong and good
from evil?

jt: It all depends; if they were not believers then we inherited generational iniquity and
vain conversation from them for which we need to repent and be delivered from in
Christ.  Polyani would be in this category.

Were they not authorities as well, right along with the God and Scripture?

jt: God and His Word tell us to honor our parents, even unbelieving parents but
once we come to the light we do not follow their example which would lead us back
into darkness.

Is there any among us who confuses dear ol' mom with the Holy Ghost?
It seems to me that that distinction is a tougher one to draw than the one many
times removed between a deceased Chemist and little old me living in the Twenty
First century. That is, if we are aware of the Chemist's contribution and not just
gulping up his gooze without discernment. Bill

jt: Why elevate the writings of a deceased Chemist?  the Holy Spirit always
points to Jesus. Polyani was Jewish and he did not. Where had discernment
gone?

judyt

From Deepsight.org articles on the internet:
By far, the most extensive discussion of religion in Polanyi's writing comes in his final book Meaning, written, as his health declined, with the help of the American philosopher Harry Prosch. In this book, Polanyi tries to extend his epistemological model to describe the nature of human knowledge found in art, myth and religion. It is the kinship between metaphor, symbol, and ritual that interests Polanyi and he uses his theory of tacit knowing to describe this relationship and show the differences between ordinary perceptual and conceptual knowledge and that found in the class of special artefacts available in art and religion; he argues for the importance of human meaning in art, myth and religion in the contemporary world.

While theologians and religious thinkers were among the first to appreciate Polanyi's philosophical ideas, it is also the case that Polanyi's late writing in which he tried more directly to discuss religion and religious knowledge has generated much scholarly debate. Although it is not possible to provide details here, it is fair to say that the discussion has focused in two related areas: Some scholars have asked if the perspective outlined in Meaning indeed fits with the mature philosophical outlook of Personal Knowledge and The Tacit Dimension. The second issue is concerned with discerning what Polanyi intended to affirm regarding the metaphysical status of religious and artistic realities. These issues were debated in meetings of the Polanyi Society in the early eighties; the discussion of both issues was the topic of articles in a special issue of Zygon: The Journal of Religion and Science (17:1[1982]; see especially the articles by Gelwick and Prosch) devoted to Polanyi. Intermittently, the discussion has continued in articles and reviews found in the issues of Tradition and Discovery: The Polanyi Society Periodical published since the Zygon issue (see the reference below to the Polanyi Society home page where there is a listing of authors and article titles).