John, you may wish to review the following book:

"The Vanishing Conscience", by John F. McArthur, Jr. Word Publishing. 1994.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] the conscience Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:42:12 EST

Some thoughts on the conscience?

I am beginning a process that will allow a research paper on the conscience.
As an avocation, I am still involved in pastoring -- as a pastoral
counselor. The biblical message has high regard for the conscience of man while modern
psychology does not. As a consequence, there is little or no secular
research regarding the conscience.

I am thinking that if we could understand just how the conscience is
reestablished, we might have a tool of divine proportions that will assist in
youth-at-risk interventions.

I need ideas about the conscience and how those ideas relate to the biblical
message. If any of you are aware of research, especially Christian based
research, relating to matters of the conscience, point me in that direction.
I, of course, will have little problem coming up with biblical references ---
so I do not scripture; rather, I will need interpretation or applications
that are related to specific scripture.

The conscience works with guilt and an internal moral code and only
'convicts" or is triggered when we violate that code . it works to keep us true to
ourselves. It never convicts, i.e., when we forget or fail to do something
that wrong or evil.

In my life, it is interesting to observe my battle against cussing. I am
quite accomplished in this area of endeavor. When I made the decision to
stop that practice (I am journeyman finish carpenter) I (a) told no one of my
decision and (b) within three or four days of abstinence, felt the pangs of
guilt on the first occasion of failure. That guilt trigger was not because of
social pressure because no one knew I had quit. My conscience had been
revived in this regard within hours of my decision and practice. I just mention
this to get some juices flowing out there in TT land.

In Grace

John Smithson

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought
to answer every man."  (Colossians 4:6) http://www.InnGlory.org