John, I think this is the kindest post I have ever read on TT. Thank you my friend. Izzy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 7:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Trustworthy?

I have included both Izzy and Miller's post to each other.  One of the things I personally enjoy so much about this particular list is the sense of community, if not family, that so obviously exists.  Hats off to Izzy for expressing what is experienced by several on this list and being able to do so with a feeling of confidence.   I missed whatever it was that brought those thoughts to the surface, but I do know this; what this friend of ours needs is that which comes with the passing of time  --  not any kind of sermonizing.   I was startled at the message given by David.   Job's friends were convinced that Job had done something wrong, also.    In fact, Job himself shared that belief except for the knowledge that he had done nothing wrong.   His whole theology was at a crossroads.  And I do not believe that Job changed his mind about his mistaken theology.   In the end, the trial was abandoned and Job returned to the days of glory.

Heb 12 does not use the idea of "discipline"  as a synonym with "chastisement."   Not at all.  In this 12 th chapter, what happens to us is one thing, the lessons God grants in light of those "bad" things is quite another.

I see nothing in Izzy's memo that tells me to beware.   I have been a pastor for a number of years, (I am not bragging here  -- actually, it more a complaint)  now, and part of what I do involves helping those who faith is on the rocks because of some calamity in their life   --   I do not see this as an issue in Linda's sharing.

What you have done for me, Izzy, is to make me aware that I am not alone on those rare occasions in which I feel disappointment.

DavidM  --- I am not correcting you in your response.  There are times when those words are needed, perhaps, but this may not be one of those occasions.

John Smithson Ist