In a message dated 6/10/2004 4:09:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

if you don't mind, pls compare/contrast the two 'shared' concepts, below

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:40:31 EDT [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
In fact, Job himself || shared [the belief that he had done something wrong] || except for the knowledge that he had done nothing wrong

Job chapter 4,  beginning with verse one, Eliphaz is reminding Job, his friend, of the || shared (obviously) belief that the innocent are not punished || (esp verse 7).

I don't know if I can be any clearer than what was written.

In 4:7, Eliphaz calls Job back to the "truth," when he says  "remember now, who ever perished being innocent, or where were the upright destroyed."

In 7:20,21, Job speaks to God revealing his agreement with the three fiends:  "Have I sinned?  What have I done to Thee, o watcher of men?   Why hast thou set me as thy target so that I am a burden to myself?   Why then doest Thou not pardon my transgression [whatever that is --  commentary from yours truly] and take away my iniquity?"

Again, in 9:20, Job concludes "though I am righteous, my mouth will condemn me; though I am guiltless , He (God) will declare me guilty."    and in v 29 Job declares, "I am accounted wicked."

Job and company believed that the wicked have physical calamity and the righeous do not.  Job admits to this thinking but denies that he, himself, fits the mold.

Two things are amiss in this event:   1) the belief that God is causing the pain and misery and 2) that discipline (our praise oriented movement through tough times) is equated with judgment or chastisement.

The surprise ending is this:   praise God in all things.   That is the message of Elihu, the young man who just couldn't take it anymore and chimed in.

John