In a message dated 8/6/2004 7:41:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Terry responds, John, I did not have an opinion.  Had never compared the two sets of verses before.  Had not even thought about a possible conflict.  I always figured that we are saved by faith and we show we are saved by our works.  One naturally follows the other since we not only become a child of the King, we also become the bond servant of the Savior, bought with a price.

Did a little digging to see what John MacArthur thought, and his explanation pretty well explains what I had always figured.   His comments follow:

James 2:21 - James cites three illustrations of living faith: One is Abraham (v 21-24), two is Rahab (v 25), three, human body and spirit (v 26).  This does not contradict Paul's clear teaching that Abraham was justified before God by grace alone, to faith, alone.  For several reasons, James cannot mean that Abraham was constituted righteous before God because of his own good works:  1) James already stressed that salvation is a gracious gift (1:17,18), 2) in the middle of this disputed passage (v 23) James quoted Genesis 15:6, which forcefully claims that God credited righteousness to Abraham solely on the basis of his faith; 3) the work that James said justified Abraham was his offering up of Isaac, an event that occurred many years after he first exercised faith and was declared righteous before God.  Instead, Abraham's offering of Isaac demonstrated the genuineness of his faith and the reality of his justification before God.  James is emphasizing the vindication before others of a man's claim to salvation.  Jame's teaching perfectly complements Paul's writings; salvation is determined by faith alone and demonstrated by faithfulness to obey God's will alone.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Terry - thanks.   This is one of things you think you know .   Your post reflects my belief.   It is just that from time to we (I) must reconsider what I do think.   Maybe I can make a clearer statment of the "truth.'   or maybe I am even wrong.    Anyway, thanks again.

John