Terry Clifton wrote:
Dave Hansen wrote:

    Now Izzy, let me ask you what you (or anybody else following this thread) think it means to become one with God?

Good morning Dave.  Let me offer a possibility.  To become one with God means to give up self.
DAVEH:  Jn 17:11 suggests the oneness of Jesus and his Father are the same.......

......That they may be one, as we are.

.......as he expects oneness to be for us.

    Do you think your theory remains valid when one considers Jn 17:21-23.......

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.  And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:  I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

........Here Jesus suggests that oneness is a two way street.  The Father is one with (in) Jesus.  Do you see oneness as meaning the Father is giving himself up as well, Terry?
  Sounds simple, and it is, but simple and easy are not always connected.  It is hard to seek the Kingdom of God while one is seeking to build his own kingdom here on earth.  Like John the Baptizer said when he spoke for every believer, "He must increase, I must decrease".

Walk in the footsteps of Jesus and you will do a lot more foot washing than you will miracle working.

 When we get to Heaven, we will be children of God in the fullest sense, heirs of the king!  For the time being, however, we are bond servants, bought with a price, expected to do something so simple that many cannot accept it; FOLLOW!  Follow the Master, serve Him.  It is not about what we want.  It is not about our glory.  It is not about us.  We are that little puff of smoke curling from the wick of a candle that has just been blown out.  Here for a moment, then gone.  He is God! Here for eternity.  What a difference between His power and ours, His wisdom and ours, His love and ours.  He is worthy, we are not.
DAVEH:  You are emphasizing the things the contrasts between us and God.  Yet the message of the Bible seems to be that his purpose and intention is for us to become more like him.  He promises his power, we've been given the knowledge of right and wrong, we are commanded to walk in his love, and he implores us to become perfect like him.  Ultimately we are to be one with him, as he is with us.  As heirs of the King, do you think the Lord intends us to sit on the throne, Terry?

I know that I am not telling you something new.  We all know that,or should.  But self sometimes becomes more important to us than God, and until self is destroyed, we cannot be one with HIM.  There is no other way.

Scattered thoughts, put together at the spur of the moment.  Hope some of it makes sense to you.  HIs will be done.

Blessings,
Terry

--
Dave Hansen