Dave Hansen wrote:

Terry Clifton wrote:
Dave Hansen wrote:

    Now Izzy, let me ask you what you (or anybody else following this thread) think it means to become one with God?

Good morning Dave.  Let me offer a possibility.  To become one with God means to give up self.
DAVEH:  Jn 17:11 suggests the oneness of Jesus and his Father are the same.......

......That they may be one, as we are.

.......as he expects oneness to be for us.

    Do you think your theory remains valid when one considers Jn 17:21-23.......

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.  And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:  I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

........Here Jesus suggests that oneness is a two way street.  The Father is one with (in) Jesus.  Do you see oneness as meaning the Father is giving himself up as well, Terry?
I see this as one in unity.  The Father and the Son operate in perfect harmony, just as the early believers were in one accord.  That is His desire for us.

Denying self is not a theory.  It is a command.  One very difficult for me to submit to at times.
Terry