In a message dated 9/11/2004 6:27:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My main question is, âHow do we dialogue on this forum in a way that fosters the participants listening and hearing each other?â  How do we disagree with one another while still generating respect?

A couple of thoughts:   it seems to me that there are at least three levels of communication, monologue (one person talking); dialogue (two or more people talking with a view to the exchange of information);  and debate (opposing views presented and defended.)

It is interesting to me that one person talking (monologue) to himself in the car is considered a little whacky, but if he does it in a crowd, it is 'normal."   What's the difference?

Dialogue, in order to be mutually effectual must spring from a (divine - perhaps) sense of empathy.   Some have it and some do not  (?)

Debate is actually the presenting and defending of two monologues. It is received as dialogue by those who take the presentations into consideration.

"Respect" is the product of one's world view.   It is not necessarily manifested in our conversation because of such distractions as sarcasm and poor judgment   It is not necessarily the manifestation of agreement.  But, I think, respect is manifested in the paying of tribute  -- assuming that such tribute is sincerely expressed.

John