While we are   --  actually "while you  are"  --  are resting up from the political battles of recent times, allow me these comments about a much more important subject:

As each of us continue our search for the perfect biblical model, one that takes into account scriptural commentary, historical presentations (i.e. the Church Fathers), and our personal and modern day bias, we should not leave out of the consideration the very reasons why the biblical model (God's way of saving man) is both necessary and truly righteous.

The reasons for the model (God's plan of salvation) is, for me, best illustrated in examples.
We have all sinned and continue to fall short of the glory of God is one example  -- rooted and grounded not only in scripture but in reality.   Finney (with his teaching of holiness perfectionism)  thought this not to be an example, failing to admit that such apostolic notions (in this case) were addressed to and described the "faithful."   We have the humility of  many of the Church Fathers, a humility centered in their comparison of themselves with their God and Father  --  the unrighteous with the Righteous. When they chose death as a witness, it was not defiance that emanates from their example  --  it is humility and faith and a love of the Company of Companions we call the Trinity.  At least, that is what I see.  The decision or acceptance of death as a witness of faith is the short track to humility, in my opinion.   And then we have those who do not and will never "know better."   They are those stunted by unenlightened teaching, superstitions, genuine deftness (for whatever reason) to the gospel message (i.e. the pagan Gentile in Romans, chapter two   and the Buddhist in some unnamed  island off the coast of India) , diet deficiencies,  genetics related stupidity, cultural confusion (i.e. the American Indian and the Crenshaw Ave gang member), emotional instabilities and the very poor living examples of those who do claim the name of our Lord  (the adulterous Teacher, the perverted youth counselor,  the thief in sheep's clothing, the Christen couch potato who knows better).

Here is a very real example: a young man named JJ, a black kid, whose faither leaves him alone with his whoring mother, never to be seen again.  The mom, who may not know better herself, goes from one man to another.   The boy sees one "father" after another until the experience becomes a numbing way of life.   And then, when the boy is 12, his mother gets into one last fight with "her man," packs up her clothing and leaves   --------   JJ is left behind, alone and with his new "dad."   JJ moves to the streets.   He becomes a gang member and discovers a sense of belonging never before experienced.   But his life is nowhere and he knows it.  A youth pastor moves into the area, preaching the gospel of Christ and the young man falls in love with the righteousness of the pastor.  JJ does not know what it is he likes about the situation, but "accepts Christ as his personal savior" and  begins to try to make sense of it all.   But before he can really get started, he is molested by this pastor.   He goes back to the streets, buys a gun and at age 21 is dead  -  an angry, disappointed and confused young man who never really had a chance.

I believe that if your model cannot save that young man -- it is heretical at its core and unworkable as the "plan of salvation."   Christ came to seek and save the lost.   And wherein that is the claim we all make as ministers of the gospel, that is not what we do.   Usually and mostly, we just move populations around.  One congregation loses its gifted and highly paid pastor, and  --  over time  -- many in the congregation go searching for the next big churched experience.   Lutherans become "spirit filled."   Mormons become Baptists. Catholics are afraid to become anything else   --  and none of us make a full time job of ministering to the truly lost and hurting.   If they walk into the building, ala Charles Shelton's fantasy character,  we might offer them help while preferring to make WWJD wrist bands for the saved.

We all need a plan that works when we do not.    That is why salvation apart from works is so very necessary.

Just a thought

a brother,

John Smithson