On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:31:09 -0500 "Hughes Jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: Hi Judy,
Thank you for your quick reply.  I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly before I leave this topic alone.  So often on this forum I am guilty of jumping to conclusions about what others think.  Often I am only creating a parody of what they actually believe.  While it may lead to a few funny/angry posts it does tend to hinder dialogue rather than contribute to it.

jt: Whether or not we are in complete agreement when all is said and done Jonathan, I do appreciate your willingness to try and understand what I'm about and I thank you for that.

In your response you only referred to blessing/cursing in the passage you quote from Galatians 3.  Would it be safe for me to think that you include the blessing/cursing of Deuteronomy within the concept/category of moral law, and not in the category of Levitical law?

jt: Yes. In Deuteronomy God refers to the diseases of Egypt which were well before the Law of Moses was given at Sinai.

If this is true, would you be saying that while the Levitical law has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ, moral law, which includes the concepts of blessing and cursing, still affects us today?

jt: Yes. In Christ we have everything necessary to overcome and walk in God's blessing including a cleansed conscience which was not available under Levitical law. Though divine healing was there for them and it is for us as well as we walk in repentance and learn to love.

A few other questions that would help me clarify your position:

1)  Would it be true that while only Christ could fulfill the Levitical Law, all of us are capable of fulfilling the moral law?

jt: Yes. Only He was without spot or blemish, not having any inheritance in the first Adam - and since the cross we are capable of fulfilling the moral law through Him.

2)  Does the same 'thing' that kept Israel from fulfilling the Levitical law also keep us from fulfilling God's moral law?

jt: Unbelief will certainly keep us from fulfilling God's moral law and this is a constant battle because we have an enemy who has been around for a long time and who knows lots of tricks and God allows us to be tested but not beyond what we are able to bear.

3)  Does the same grace of God that enables us to fulfill the Levitical law also enable us to fulfill God's moral law?

jt: The Levitical law has been fulfilled already in Christ and headquarters is now at the right hand of the Father in heaven. We are to follow the Chief Shepherd and keep His Commandments which are to love God, ourselves, and our neighbors.

4)  In another post today there was a comment made about the 'covering of grace'.  While I do not believe that we are covered by grace (rather we are covered by the blood of Jesus Christ), do you view grace and law as two separate categories that are mutually exclusive?  Or do you believe that grace is present in the law?

jt: My definition of 'grace' is probably different from what is generally accepted by much of evangelical Christendom.  I don't believe that grace is ever a cover for sin.  Rather grace is the ability by the power of the cross to overcome sin. We overcome by grace through faith.  Faith was necessary under the law also and grace must have been there; they were either blessed or cursed according to their choices in life.

If in any way I am mischaracterizing your thought here please point it out.  Jonathan

jt:  Not that I can see so far Jonathan that is, if when we use a word we are meaning the same thing.