John wrote:
Could it be that KB expresses that which Lance believes?
David, you might try responding to those words, included
by Lance, and see what Lance has to say rather than resorting
to the kind of criticism, disguised as honest (no doubt) advice.,
as is recorded above.   You the Teacher -- Lance the elementary
student is not condusive to meaningful debate.

I did respond to the first sentence, John. The problem with responding to what someone else wrote are numerous. They include:

1.  Oh, but I don't agree with everything he wrote.

2.  I don't think he meant that.  What he means to me is ...

3.  How dare you insult the greatest theologian who ever lived!

4.  You are such an idiot to disagree with someone so great as ...

And the list goes on and on. In Lance's case, I am certain to insult a favorite theologian of his and the discussion would become emotional and go nowhere.

This list is not about discussing what others have written. We allow some latititude for people to quote others, either as an authority for what they believe or as some kind of supportive explanation, but this list is primarily for discussing views which each of us hold. My comments were meant to help Lance keep on this track, and your comments detract from the purposes for which this list was designed. Those who want to read others are free to browse and surf the web. This forum is for discussing views between people who have viewpoints that they want to discuss. It is especially for divergent viewpoints with a wide variety of world views and opinions. It is a place where you can challenge other people's views and have your own viewpoint challenged. This provokes study and an examination of hidden assumptions that we all make in our reasoning process.

John Smithson wrote:
In view of such statements as "Such a viewpoint is anathema.
It denies the gospel.  It denies the righteousness of Christ,"
why would Lance do anything in terms of response except
to say "I repent"  and why would you want to continue a
discussion with one who is so clearly (by your judgment)
outside the revelatory will of God?

Wow, you really have no latitude for people disagreeing with one another and discussing differences. Sometimes people do change their minds. I have many times.

The response Lance might have to my comments is varied. He might say that he agrees with my analysis, that it is anathema to say that men cannot receive the Spirit of God and become faithful to God and to each other. On the other hand, if he did think it is impossible for men to be faithful to others and to themselves, he might realize that we have a serious point of disagreement here and know that we need to discuss it further. My point is that depending on how the sentence is interpreted, we might have exact agreement or we might be miles apart. We have to start somewhere and I was trying to make my position clear.

Why do you have such a hard time with people being clear and exact about their positions? In my opinion, being clear makes the discussion easier, but there will be no discussion if the other party has no arguments for his position.

As for why I would want to discuss with someone outside of God's will, well, that is because this is what God has called me to do. As for Lance, however, you AGAIN <sigh> clearly misread what I wrote because I do not consider Lance to be "clearly ouside the revelatory will of God."

---------- "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer every man." (Colossians 4:6) http://www.InnGlory.org