Just a couple of thoughts here.  Unmerited grace? Absolutely!  Unconditional love?  In most cases, yes.  Unconditional forgiveness?  Absolutly not!
As to the "Be perfect" thingy, I think that Jesus asked that of us just so that we could experience how impossible that is, and know how much we needed His sacrificial death to atone for our sins.  I believe that He gave the Church this impossible command, just as He gave the Jews the impossible task of keeping the law, and for the same reason; to show us we can never be good enough to save ourselves.

Hi Terry.  Note David Miller’s post earlier today about how it isn’t about “our” righteousness, but when we are in Him it is HIS righteousness we take on.  Apart from that we have NONE.  Exactly correct. Izzy