In a message dated 2/14/2005 6:00:19 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

John wrote:

>>... what of those "evils" that tend to define us

>>(apart from the influence of Christ but remain

>>even after His indwelling (?)) such as laziness,

>>selfishness, impatience, anger, lust, covetousness

>>and the like and John's statment in I Jo 1:8.

Those evils are the Flesh.  Whether or not we walk in them or in the Spirit is a true choice that we have IF we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.  Whichever path we choose is what âdefinesâ us. Izzy

Yes, of course.  But I was asking the question of Bill in the context of his comments on "sanctification."    Pride, conceit, selfishness and the like are named as sin in NT scripture.  I agree that we have a choice when it comes to sin  --   whether event sins or linear evils.   I do not have to be a selfish person, or a conceited one, or a bigot, or one who covets     -------------    but, sadly I will make choices that find me bound to one or the other.  I see these sins in each member of this very forum.   And, of course, the biblical message expressly tells me  that the possession of sin [to some degree  --  hopefully to a decreasing degree]  will be a fact in my life.   It is not that it HAS to be that; rather, only that it WILL be.  At no time in our lives are we without the need for unmerited saving grace.   It does not have to be that way  --   but it will be that way.

JD