From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org>
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Baptism 4 dead?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:29:38 -0400

Perry wrote:
> The NASB gives a clearer rendition of "hapax"
> (clarifying, not reinterpreting) since "hapax" is
> an "aorist passive", indicating that the action
> occurred once and will never occur again.
> I am not a greek scholar; this description comes
> from John MacArthur.

You really have to be careful here, Perry. There is no aorist tense in
English, and I have often seen Greek scholars make blundering mistakes in
trying to force it into past tense, and in this case, give an issue of
finality to it. Surely you know that John MacArthur is heavily biased
against revelation and the gifts of the Spirit. I don't have time right now
to do some homework on this, but if you have an interest, I would be willing
to spend some time to elaborate on this by showing you some other verses
with this tense that cannot possibly be translated as they do here.
However, in this case, the meaning of the word translated as "once" needs to
be considered too, and that does have numerical meaning.

Perry wrote:
> Jude is essentially describing the closure in the
> delivery of the faith...that it was complete and
> over as delivered to the saints.

I don't see any closure to delivering faith. Faith continues to be
delivered even today through godly ministers. Haven't you ever preached and
seen faith arise in the hearts of people? He uses the word "once" because
he is delineating this faith that he has in mind from the adulterated faith
that was then being promulgated among them by ungodly men. He is urging
them to contend for that faith that was originally delivered to the saints.
This is a faith based upon holiness and righteousness, not one based upon
prosperity and lasciviousness.