IMO=As I have been taught and, have 'chosen' (not knowing all of the options, I've settled on this one. How could one not? There are, after all, the requisite scriptures cited in support of the position into which I've come into compliance) to be the correct understanding of the matter. It is therefore the way that I order both my thinking and, my life.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: May 07, 2005 19:19
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [TruthTalk] Fw: Rikk Watts on Genesis 1

Caroline Wong wrote:
Okay, you got me there, Terry. That should be Romans 11:25-27. But here is the rest of the passage in KJV (verses 28 to 32)
"As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all."

Now, what you wrote is valid and solid thinking and a lot of people believe that. But a lot of people considered the rest of the passage and felt that Israel, as a chosen people, have no choice but be saved and this is God's sovereign choice. It is irresistible grace and unconditional election. (Part of Calvin's theology)

So on one hand: possible scenario that all Jews are born destined for hell from 33 AD until a day in the future when the full number of Gentiles come in and then Jesus is revealed to them as their Messiah. On another hand, possible scenario that they are saved no matter what because it pleases God to do so. If someone can answer "why would God set it up this way?" for either scenario, then a lot of answers to age old questions (from why the tree of knowledge in the garden to why do we suffer to why are some born handicapped or with cancer) fall into place. Many theologians have attempted to formulate a theodicy that matches what they believe about God and the bible. The entire branch is called theodicy and it's not a simple formulation.

Love,

Caroline
I am not a theologian and have no idea what theodicy might mean but there is a third scenario that makes more sense than either of the two above.  All Jews were never destined for Hell at any time.  Those who go there do it by choice, just as you and I would.  The same thing applies to those who are saved.  The old "Choose who you will serve" thing.  God is not willing that any be lost, but just as I would never have forced my wife to be my wife, Christ will not force any to be His bride.  Anyone who follows Calvin is deceived or an idiot or both.  In my opinion, during the tribulation, the vast majority of the Jews living during that time will be killed.  Those who are left will believe.  God always makes certain that a remnant remain.  No one will ever eradicate the Jews, but at the end, I believe they will come closer than they have for a long time.
Terry