[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Mester Blaine:   Jesus, indeed, is the same.  The notion that he has spoken in this dispensation is apparently given credence (in your thinking) because of the claim to fame  --  4th largest denomination.  What does the comparison of numbers mean when you compare to  ----  say  --  Buddhism?  How are you doing in that exchange.   Could it be that numbers mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the establishment of truth.   I mean, my family is larger than yours.......  7 kids and 12 grandchildren.  That makes us    ---------------------------   what?  Right?

Secondly,  the Mormon revelations have nothing to do with the First Church.   There was no doctrine in the first church that provided for polygamy.  Blacks were welcome.  Grace, not works, was the theme of the day, God as expressed in the Godhead, was and is the only God, salvation was a gifted occurrence apart from the law, the church was never "right" in terms of the thinking and actions of its membership, and the governmental structure of the first church was nothing similar to what you have today  --  dispite the use of such words as "elders" and "bishops." &n bsp; No one believed that Temple righteousness played a role in securing new heavens and new earths for the faithful  --  becoming gods to the same degree as the god of this earth.

I mention the "first church,"  because the justification for the revelations of Mormonism have everything to do a supposed apostasy from the True Church of the first century.  such an opinion ignores the fact that "first church" was divided based on doctrine and if we count heads, doctrinal error (works salvationism  --  Jewish style) was,  by far, the majority opinion.   The notion that the church and its leadership had controls over the individual members (a false doctrine) led to the establishment of the Pope and the continuance of works salvationism.   There would have been no Pope if the membership understood that the rule of the bishop was a rule of example   ----------------   only.   The first church did not understand the theology of accepted diversity as taught in Romans 14.  In fact,  if we cut out all the material in the NT letters,  if we cut all the material that was written to inform and correct the thinking of the first church  -   we would have nothing left but a pamphlet  of NT instruction.

JD
Well done, John!!  Especially that last sentence.
Terry