MT 23 "for they say, and do not."

TALK is Cheap.
Tell us what you are DOING, not just what you are talking, JD & Lance.

David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lance wrote:
> I was simply alluding to those on TT who believe
> that God 'incarnated' in book form as opposed
> to a human being. (You, David, Judy and Izzie)

I wouldn't use the word 'incarnated' but because you threw my name into the
mix, I suppose you are addressing my great respect for Scripture. Don't you
think Jesus also respected Scripture the way that we do?

Consider the straining at the letter of Scripture that Jesus does in the
following passage:

John 10:34-36
(34) Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are
gods?
(35) If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the
scripture cannot be broken;
(36) Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the
world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Besides Jesus demonstrating here that he is a legalist, he illustrates
respect for every jot and tittle of Scripture. And why not, he also taught
that no jot or tittle would fail until heaven and earth pass away.

Matthew 5:17-18
(17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not
come to destroy, but to fulfil.
(18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one
tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Remember too that Jesus encouraged his disciples to listen and obey those
expounders of Scripture whom many on TruthTalk would label as legalists.

Matthew 23:2-3
(2) Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
(3) All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but
do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

So who here is walking in the tradition of Jesus Christ? Is it those who
greatly respect the Scriptures and follow it closely, or is it those who
think it would be evil legalism to do so?