You can not finish the work. You have no part in earning or working for salvation.

When you were born did your mother do ALL the work or did you help her?
Was she upset that you were just along for the ride?

John 19:30 It is finished

John 3:7 Ye must be born again

You can not even see your need:

Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Just like you could not help your Mom, you need to be born of God and He does not need your help.

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

cute story though