you're saying that (e.g) transubstantiation effects faith--what controls faith?

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:05:35 -0400 "Debbie Sawczak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I see how it can be regarded as an aid to reason, although (as with some other Catholic doctrines, such as the immaculate conception) it really just pushes the exercise of faith "further back"; it is still only by faith that transubstantiation can be accepted. But I agree that this literal sense is not necessary, and also that it is in itself no guarantee of the "eating" referred to by Jesus. For me it functions as an insistence that the Eucharist is more than a memorial, and an insistence on the idea of Christ as nourishment, and a person can apprehend and appreciate this without the doctrine of transubstantiation. I think the Eucharist has been so stripped-down in much of the evangelical community, and that this is related to a fearful repudiation (or dualistic recasting?) of sacramentality in general.

I may be misunderstanding you, however. Or misunderstanding the reality. There is always that possibility.

Debbie
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] All believers are ONE IN CHRIST

transubstantiation involves mentally materialization as an aid to reason--the nature of symbolism

Jn 6 involves faith--no transubstantiation required--there, believing transcends seeing even while present to behold

many who actually saw what JC did there, that day, in person, did not believe (in) him