I was reading in Hebrews 12 and it occurred to me that "chastening" as in "the chastening of the Lord" is not about God providing events to do the work of slapping his children around and getting them to walk a tight line.   Rather, "chastening" is more rooted in Romans 8:28 and the revelation that God works all things for the good.    Stuff happens.   God uses it to teach lessons.

The storms in the Gulf Coast are not about an angry God teaching His people a lesson.  Rather,  it is about a loving Father who sits down with His children and says,  "Now,  what lessons can we learn from this disgusting disaster?"

Look to Hebrews 12:3.   This passage on "chantening" begins with chastening of Christ at the hands of sinners.   God did not author this event  --  He used it ------- for the good of His eternal Son and  for us all.   When bad things happens,   it is our call --  per passages such as Heb 12  -   to look for the benefit as we partner with a loving heavenly Father.

"Chastening"  is not the bad that comes our way but what we make of that bad circumstance.   When we learn this lesson,  we begin to be partakers of His holiness  (12:10).

If there is a lesson in those storms on the Gulf Coast, it is a lesson for those who are in partnership with Him    --------------------    not for the pagan minded.

Just a thought.

JD