Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Christ and the Law

And you will never be as perfect as the Heavenly Father, you will not pluck out your eye or tell others to do so, ditto for the cutting off of the hand.   The Sermon is still not used in Holy Writ as a basis of legal or doctrinal argumentation and the Lord's prayer remains unused even by Christ (John 17).   What we do with this Sermon is not my point.   What was Christ's true point?   I do much the same as you with this Sermon.  But I do have reasons for not doing some of it , as well.  And some of that reason effects what I tell married/divorced/married couples.     What I do not do is go looking for the legalese of the teaching because legalese is not the point NT scripture.   I do not believe for a second that a man who molests his children or beats his wife or lives of f the efforts of the woman in any way binds the spouse to a life-time of misery and loneliness.   New Testament scripture is not about law. It   can't be.  If we could have been saved by the law, if righteousness came by the law  --  we wouldn't need a "new" anything.  The Old Law  -  which came directly from God  (and does He do anything half way ??)  --  would have done the trick.   But we are led by the Spirit  -------------   all men have this "ability" because it is tied to who they are as a creation of God.   Philip  2:12-13 is a statement of ontology regarding man.  John 3:21 makes it clear that the good works we do, any time in our lives, are the works of God within us.   We have always had this choice  --  to live by legalese or the Spirit.   And so David says, it is not sac rifice you desire but a broken and contrite heart  !!!!   Abraham is the father of all who live by this faith-exchanged-for-righteousness.  Christ on the cross has made us right ALREADY.   So why the need for the deeds of the law?   Only as they represent an extension of faith, love and the Spirit  (they are all very much related) and for NO OTHER REASON.   One cannot command the ontological  !!!!!!!!!    Start breathing   !!!!!!!!!!!   Don't exhale  !!!!!!!!!   You must love ME  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jd