There are a couple of things that could be said about "descriptive duratives"  in view of the literal translation of "being sanctified" and all  --  I say all  --   that Bill had to say on the subject..... but first things first   --    I couldn't find your reference in Robertson's Greek grammar.  Perhaps a page number.   And it might be of more help to me if you gave the Table of Index heading in which this commentary is made just in case our page numbers do not match up  (my copy is a 1934 editiion).

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Sent: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:48:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] corrector/revisor

JD wrote:
> ... I would venture the guess that not a single
> translator, if asked to give an opinion on what
> Bill has written  (in plain English, by the way,
> Terry) would dispute his commentary.   Where
> in the world do you think Bill T  came up with
> such ideas?   You think he just made them up
> --  pulled them out of thin air???   You can't find
> a greek grammar that will disagree with what he
> has said.

Apparently you have not consulted too many grammars.  A.T. Robertston in "A
Grammar of the Greek New Testament" writes about Hebrews 10:14 in the
following way:

"But usually the pres. part. is merely descriptive.  Cf. Mk. 1:4; Ac. 20:9;
2 Cor. 3:18; 4:18.  There is no notion of purpose in "hagontes" (Ac. 21:16).
In tous sozomenous (Ac. 2:47) the idea is probably iterative, but the
descriptive durative is certainly all that is true of "tous hagiazomenous"
in Heb. 10:14 (cf. 10:10)."

Notice how Robertson actually approaches this passage exactly the same way
that Judy did for meaning.  He goes back to Heb. 10:10, just like Judy did,
to argue the proper meaning of 10:14 away from a progressive or iterative
concept.  His conclusion is similar to Judy's in that he says 10:14 is
CERTAINLY ONLY descriptive durative.

If you are familiar with Robertson's grammar, you know that he separates the
durative action into various categories, the progressive present being one
(which is Bill Taylor's treatment of Heb. 10:14) and the descriptive present
being another one.  I think if Robertson were here, he would have some
comments that would pull Bill Taylor away from his present dogmatic stance.
Considering how most translators have shied away from commiting to a
progressive syntax, I think there are likely to be many others that would
likewise find some disagreement with Bill's solid commitment to a
progressive present meaning of Heb. 10:14.