Lance, I do not find myself "clever" in asking this question.  I believe it
is pertinent, especially when he dismissed Scripture as a foundation for
doctrine just because it is apocalyptic!  I believe that the Temple Menorah
is a shadow concerning the nature of God's Spirit.  The Greek language is
very well suited toward inventing a word for "Trinity" and I believe there
is good reason why it never did.  I think the closest the Greek comes to
addressing it is three words not one, "treis prospoponoi homoousius."  As
you know, the word "Trinity" comes from the Latin "trinitas" used by
Tertullian.  So it is an important question why Providence saw fit not to
insert such into our Scriptures.  The Hindus have the Sanskrit word for
Trinity in their Scriptures but the Jews and Christians do not utilize such
a word in any translation of Scripture that I am aware of.  If you know
otherwise, please tell.

Without getting into a long analysis, let me just say that if the Scriptures
did have the word Trinity in the text as John suggests is appropriate, it
would definitely cause a shift in my thinking about God. I am very concerned
about those who think it appropriate to translate the Bible in such a
paraphrastic way.  It is certainly appropriate for a person to express their
viewpoint of God using the word Trinity and the concepts associated
therewith, but for a person to claim that it properly translates the
Scriptures is to claim that the word is an infallible word, divinely
inspired, and should be embraced by everyone everywhere.  I don't believe
that is appropriate.

David Miller