DAVEH:  Once again, I thank you for your thoughtful answer, DavidM.  Do you view circumcision in a similar light as baptism...it being a covenant?  (A short answer is acceptable....no need to elaborate.)

David Miller wrote:
DaveH wrote:

What other (other than baptism) ways do
you see as ratifying the covenant?

Well, in the case of Abraham, there was a blood covenant.  So that would be
one other way there.  With Jacob, there was wrestling with God.  In terms of
coming into a relationship with Jesus, the waters of baptism are what I lead
a person to in order to establish their covenant with Jesus Christ.
Nevertheless, if a person were for some reason kept from that, there are
other things that can be done to help that person apply faith in Jesus
Christ.

There was a man in a nursing home that I shared Christ with, and he came to
a point where he wanted to be baptized.  There were logistic problems with
the nursing home and family member concerns because he was nearing death.
Before we could make it happen, he passed away.  At that time, we had only
prayed with him and helped him to commit to giving his heart to Christ
through prayer.  I believe and understand that God honors that profession of
faith.

In my own life, my parents did not consider me old enough at 5 years old to
be baptized and understand what I was doing.  So although I desired to be
baptized and asked to be baptized, I was denied.  This did not hinder the
work of God in my life, when at the age of 8 Jesus baptized me with the Holy
Spirit.  When my parents saw that happen, they realized that I was indeed
old enough to be baptized in water, and so I was at age 9.  The household of
Cornelius seemed to have a similar experience, entering into a covenant with
God and receiving the Holy Spirit by faith, even before they had been
baptized in water.

Dave Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.langlitz.com