DaveH wrote:
> Do you feel that the OT sacrificial rites were
> similarly related....that is, were signs of a
> covenant?  If so, why do you think they needed
> to be replicated?

No, I view the sacrificial rites of the Sinai covenant were not signs of the
covenant, but rather elements of the covenant which illustrated the need for
atonement for sin.  When I mentioned previously that sacrifices were
sometimes used to cut a covenant, I did not have these sacrifices in mind,
but rather the example of Abraham cutting the covenant with God.  This was
culturally practiced then.  Sometimes salt was used.

I see baptism and circumcision similar to the signing of a contract.  Note
that law allows for contracts to be enforceable even without a signature if
it is clear that an agreement was made orally as per the things stated in
the contract.  However, a signature makes it very clear as to the agreement
between the parties involved.

The OT sacrificial rites were not like the signing of the contract, but
rather responsibilities expected of the party who has entered into the
agreement.  At least that's how I look at it.  :-)