John wrote:
> ... I am not a dualist.
> There is only one nature.

Just for the record in regards to this discussion, it is dualism that
provides for me the framework for understanding how Jesus could have a
fallen nature.  Without the understanding of man's dualism that comes from
Romans 7, I would probably be on Judy's side in saying that Jesus could not
have had a fallen nature as part of his being.  I also could not believe in
Christian sanctification without dualism.

Jesus was perfectly pure and holy in his spirit, but he was housed in a
corruptible body of flesh.  His inner man was incorruptible but his outer
man was corruptible.  His inner man had no shadow of darkness, but his outer
man was subject to passions and appetites like all other men, which created
a drive in him toward that which would be contrary to the spirit.  Jesus,
just like us, had to live a life of self denial in order to walk in
holiness. To suggest that Jesus did not have a fallen nature is to say that
Jesus did not live in any kind of self denial at all, but that he simply did
what was natural for him, which is perfect, holy living.  I believe his
spirit had that nature, of naturally doing what was right, but he was in a
corruptible body of flesh that did not agree with the direction of his
spirit.  Hence, in the wilderness when he was fasting, he hungered and
desired to turn rocks into bread.  His spirit told him to resist the
temptation.  In the garden his fallen nature tempted him to sleep when he
was suppose to fast and pray.  The prospect of the cross caused his flesh to
cry out, to run away, and not to sacrifice himself for a people who all
deserted him at the smallest sign of trouble.  Without a model of dualism, I
truly do not know how to process all of these facts.  Dualism provides the
means to understand Paul's statement in Romans 7:17 in regards to sin, "Now
then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."  If this can
be said concerning sin, how much more concerning temptation.  When Jesus was
tempted to sin, it was not him, but sin that dwelled in his flesh.  As Paul
says in Romans 7:25, "with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with
the flesh the law of sin."  How any of you avoid the dualism taught here is
very strange to me.  Modern theologians erroneously make dualism a dirty
word.

John wrote:
> I used to believe that man, apart from Christ,
> had no choice when it came to sin.
> I no longer believe that to be the case.
> Man does have a choice.  Adam had a choice.

Make sure you study Pelagianism very closely.  You are moving close to that
position.  Such leads to moral government theology and open theism.  Make
sure that is where you want to be.