John replies

John,

I have been pondering your treatise concerning the role of Scripture to
transform lives.  No doubt that is one role.  But what about the use of
Scriptures to guard against error?  Does it have that role in your mind?
What do you mean?  How do you accomplish one without avoiding the other?

Following are two passages that I would like for you to explain their
meaning:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
(16) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for
doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good
works.   Gee, I wonder just how many times I have read this passage.   I do not think  reproof and correction are  negatives.   It is not error that is corrected or given reproof  --  it is my very life in Christ that is given correction and reproof.   "Reproof " has to do with "proving" as one proves his profession as a carpenter  --  and how is that done?  Practice, practice, practice.  Scripture is profitable in this excercise.  "Correction" has to do with setting back on course  --   this is the very thing promised of Christ Himself in Romans 14:4  ("a nd we will be made to stand!!" )

Titus 1:9-11
(9) Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be
able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
(10) For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially
they of the circumcision:
(11) Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things
which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

>From my perspective, it tells me that Scripture should be used to rebuke and
correct others.  It seems to me that some on the list, perhaps you included,
despise this use, believing that it drives people away from God.  What I dispise is this:  to invite people onto this DISCUSSION forum and then rebuke and insult them becaue they dare to differ  .....................  even to the point of investigating them and seriously considering calling people who might know them and warning them of that person  (or were you going to tell them what a great guy you t hink I am?)

  Please do
not think that I am trying to proof text here.  That is an often abused
allegation when passages are brought up.  I am truly desiring to understand
the message you hear being conveyed to you when you read these passages.
When I read them, they instruct me as a man of God to use the Scriptures to
exhort and convince GAINSAYERS.  2nd Timothy applies to ME and not me preaching to another.  The Titus passage is about the battle against the Jewish legalist.    It is the mouth of the legalist that must be stopped.  The "gainsayer?"  Well, he is the one who is to be exhorted and convinced.  Nothing in there about "rebuking."

There are other passages that could be considered as well, but here is one
that seems to be consonant with the idea that disputes among us should be
expected, not shunned as something indicative of a defect in us.

1 Corinthians 11:18-19
(18) For first o f all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that
there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
(19) For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved
may be made manifest among you.  Divisions are not good.   If this were not true, then we would work toward division rather than unity and Christ's prayer for unity would be  rather humorous.