One of the distros that I've used several times is Trinux
[http://trinux.sourceforge.net].  It's an ISOLINUX based project that can
both boot off floppies or off an ISO distributed on the website.  It's your
basic hacker's toolbox, with tools like netcat and nmap, ipchains and
netfilter, openssh, links (a lynx clone), vi and vim (because emacs just
won't cut it), samba, and much, much more.  There's an offshoot of the
project called LaBrea (named after the tarpits I suppose) which can be
deployed as a "sticky honeypot" for Code Red - it sits on your network,
intercepts Code Red probes and essentially ties up the machines.by

craft[ing] up a return packet with SYN/ACK set and perhaps an option to set
the MSS to something small... say about 60 bytes.  ...the attacking
worm...after replying with an ACK, ...has completed a three-way
handshake...  it's connected....my program just answers SYN packets and
ignores everything else.  So now the worm has to sit around while the whole
TCP connection times out. [http://www.threenorth.com/LaBrea/]

Anyway, I used Trinux pretty extensively at work over the past few summers
to diagnose network problems.  We have a small class C block using only
about 200 of the IPs, but nearly all of the machines are Windows 95a
machines.  The tools that come with Windows are woefully inadequate when it
comes to mapping out a network, among other things.  I could use nmap's
ping scan to find active machines easily, resolve their dns names,
etc.  And, of course, if I didn't have a CD drive on the box, I could use
the floppy distro.  Okay, obviously I like this toy a little bit.  Try it
out sometime.

-Bill