Hello!

Is there any specific reason why multiple output groups are forbidden? I just
wanted to use many output groups to group the outputs in a hierarchy (so that
I could have groups of files created in a/ folder, which would be equal to the
sum of a/1/ and a/2/ groups, which in turn would be equal to the sum of a/1/x,
a/1/y and a/2/x/ and a/2/y/ groups respectively) and tup told me that's an
error:

> tup error: Multiple output groups detected: ...

Groups are the closest thing to global variables (but with some limitations)
and sometimes having a global variable (that can transfer information between
Tupfiles) is really necessary if you want the build to be more "automatic".
For example the thing I had in mind would work as an automatic collector of
outputs (but with hierarchical structure represented by the path of groups)
and this can be replaced with explicitly listing all the subdirectories (and
sub-subdirectories and sub-sub-subdirectories and ...), but that's just stupid
to list all of that manually...

Regards,
FCh