Hello Mike!

On Thursday 01 of October 2015 13:10:05 Mike Shal wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Freddie Chopin <freddie.cho...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > There are more restrictions like this one in tup - for example the fact
> > that
> > you cannot use dot-files or dot-folders as input/output (I've wrote about
> > that
> > some time ago).
>
> Sorry, I haven't had as much time to work on tup as I had hoped :(.
> dot-files/folders have been ignored primarily to skip scanning & tracking
> things in .git and .tup, but it ignores all hidden files, because why would
> you want to build things that are hidden from the developer? Maybe that's a
> dumb idea and you have perfectly good reasons spelled out in the previous
> thread :).

OK, I have another good argument for allowing dot-files and dot-folders to be
used in tup. Tup has special treatment for tup.config file, which is a renamed
.config file generated by kconfig tool. The kconfig tool can be used
standalone in a project to have a nice configuration tool, and this is exactly
what I do in my RTOS project. The problem is that using any file with
different name than ".config" in the kconfig tool is a bit cumbersome
(partially because of its design, partially because of some strange
bugs/"features"). In my project I use the file generated by this tool both as
input for tup (I read and parse it manually in lua) and as input to commands
(to generate a configuration header for C/C++ and to generate linker script
for the configured chip), but I obviously have to use a different name than
".config".

I would propose to ignore just .tup folder and allow any other dot-files and
dot-folders as inputs. If scanning folders such as .git would be a problem for
performance reasons, I would propose to implement a following restrictions:
1. Tupfile or Tupfile.lua files in dot-folders are ignored;
2. Tupdefault.lua file from some parent folder doesn't work in dot-folders;
3. Only explicit inputs are allowed in dot-folders - no globbing is possible;

If even that would be a problem, for a start I would be very happy if tup
would just allow dot-files while we discuss what to do with dot-folders.

I could try to prepare some patches/pull-requests, but will you accept them?
(;

Regards,
FCh