Hi Simon,

However this test compares everything and I am hitting the problem which is touched on in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-427, i.e. my input xml files have comments and my output XML files don't so the current
equalXML... function always returns false.

What might be useful here is some XML Canonicalization (c14n) code that
will munge both XML sources to a canonical form and then compare those forms.
This does things like elide extraneous whitespace in the elements,
reorder attributes using a particular algorithm, optionally remove
comments and that kind of thing. The Canonical XML spec is at [0],
but you might be more interested in the example implementation which you
can find in the Xerces samples at [1]. A candidate for that testutils
jar that Dan was talking about, perhaps.

 regards
   Oisin

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n
[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/trunk/samples/sax/ Writer.java