What about using http://xmlunit.sourceforge.net/, i think some of the other
Apache WS projects use that.

  ...ant

On 6/22/06, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I want to add a little automated testing to the interop suite to compare
input XML files with output XML files. I note that there is XML comparison
function in

org.apache.tuscany.sdo.test.TestUtil

However this test compares everything and I am hitting the problem which
is
touched on in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-427, i.e. my
input xml files have comments and my output XML files don't so the current
equalXML... function always returns false. For my local testing what I
have
done is edited the class to:

1/ Change all the static operations to non static operations
2/ Add a member variable to describe what should be ignored when testing
for
equality
3/ Add outputs in each failure case to record what causes XML files to be
marked as not equal
4/ Added a string output stream member variable to capture all of this
output
5/ Added a getReport method to return the contents of this output stream
if
you are interested in why the XMLs differ

Now this is all very well and good but of course this breaks anything that
relies on this class having static methods (it's used in about 50 places).
So I can make a slight change to maintain the static interface. The
question
is would you rather I:

A/ Make a special version for me and not patch the original (not ideal)
B/ Create a patch for the original

As an aside there already seems to be two copies of this file, in:

tuscany\java\sdo\impl\src\test\java\org\apache\tuscany\sdo\test
tuscany\java\sdo\tools\src\test\java\org\apache\tuscany\sdo\test

Is there a good reason for this? If not, which one stays?