I'd like to see if I can recap where this thread went. There seem to be two sets of opinion:

1) that regular scheduled chats are helpful
2) that impromptu, unscheduled chats are helpful

In light of this, I'd like to propose the following IRC policy for the project:

==
We will hold a regular scheduled chat at the current time (15:30GMT every Monday) to discuss non-urgent things that people may be interested in. Subjects should be posted to the list in advance so that people can make a decision on whether to attend; attendance is encouraged but optional. The folk that show up get to choose what is discussed.

We will also hold pre-announced chats at other times so try and bring closure to issues that seem to be dragging on in email threads. The point of these is to come to a decision and such outcomes must be posted to the list for all to review. It is the discussion on the list that is binding.

In general we will encourage community members to hang out on the IRC channel so that anyone can hold an impromptu discussion with folk that happen to be around. We especially encourage committers to be available so that new users have a way to reach someone. Any decisions should be summarized to the list.
==

I hope that captures everyone's thoughts and if so I'd suggest we put it on the website.
If not, how about meeting on IRC to close this out?

--
Jeremy