I've been using Clover as a test coverage tool and have found it quite useful (http://www.cenqua.com/clover/) Licensing is free for open source projects and it has plugins for popular IDEs so it can be run as part of a standard code-test cycle (it can be toggled on and off).

Although it is a bit indiscriminate (e.g. it flags getters and setters), I find it particularly helpful when writing test cases since it highlights untested code in the IDE. I have attached a sample report I just ran that shows the high level statistics from a run.

When we get around to creating integration build infrastructure I would like us to examine using this and generating reports that are posted to a project status page since it is a good indication of areas that need work.

It would also been nice to run a dependency analyzer periodically over the codebase to avoid cycles in our package structures. I've seen people use JDepend or SonarJ. Does anyone have experience with either of these two or an alternative?

Jim