On Aug 11, 2006, at 1:49 PM, Jim Marino wrote:
On Aug 10, 2006, at 10:53 PM, Venkata Krishnan wrote:

My imagination of the Registry is that it is lightweight and it should be ok to host several instances of it on a host, ofcourse each on a different port. Hence we might actually allow the assemblies to mention which port
number is preferred to host the RMI Service.
I think this could be accomplished with one system service. The RMIHost API could have overloaded versions of register(), one that takes an explicit port and one that uses a default. If an explicit port is passed, the RMIHost would look for a cached Registry, creating one if needed.

I think one component per registry would be easier to manage.

Each registry would register with the RMIHost by socket address; service instances would register with the RMIHost which would delegate to the appropriate registry based on the endpoint address.

Specifying just port number in the assembly is not enough - you need to be able to specify host/port combinations.

--
Jeremy