On Aug 11, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Jim Marino wrote:
Forgot about the host. If we want to have one component per registry, what happens when two services register at the same host/port combination?

If two registries register, the second should fail (as it won't be able to get the socket anyway).

Right so that's why I was thinking it would be better to allow for multiple components per registry. Do you think that's not something that really is a problem?

An RMI registry can support multiple services, see next statement.

Services will have a uri whose path will distinguish them.

RMI services have a URI path that they use to register with the registry so that it can contain multiple ones - like a servlet context is used to allow multiple webapps on the same socket.

RHIHost        = Web container (ServletHost)
RMIRegistry    = HTTP listener
Remote Service = Servlet

RMIRegistry instances are components deployed to the system that listen on sockets and dispatch requests to registered services based on URI path.

--
Jeremy