To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 11:57 PM
Subject: RE: SCDL extensions to define data types for parameters and return value

Hi Raymond,

I doubt there is a need to mix different data bindings for a same interface. Can someone name a valid use case, for example, different operations are using different data bindings? If we can safely assume one interface is always implemented by one specific data binding, things can be simplified greatly. For example, we wont end of with a very complex scdl as you mentioned before:

<interface.wsdl ...>
   <tuscany:databinding
xmlns:tuscany="http://tuscany.apache.org/xmlns/1.0-SNAPSHOT"; dataType="sdo">
<!-- default to sdo for the portType -->
       <operation name="getCreditReport" dataType="sdo"> <!-- default to
sdo for the operation -->
               <!-- more fine control -->
               <input>
                     <part index="0">
                           <dataType name="sdo"
xmlType="{http://customer}Customer"/>
                    </part>
             </input>

A simple configuration e.g. a property to specify which data binding (jaxb/sdo/xmlbeans etc) is used should be enough.

Also to answer Jeremy's question raise before: "I believe Celtix uses WSDL extensions for this i.e. annotations added to the WSDL or possibly the underlying XMLSchema to indicate the data binding to use. ". This is not true. Celtix1.0 only supports jaxb, CeltixFire( the apache project that is a merge between Celtix and XFire) will support multiple data bindings, but I don't think there will be any thing related to data bindings being added into wsdl or xmlschema. It is configured by a configuration somewhere. This follows the same principle used by SCA: as long as the two interface types are equivalent, they can talk to each other without knowing what the underlying data binding is, which means the interface definition should not be polluted by data bindings.

Cheers,
Jervis