Rick,

I realized I need to take a look at Ignacio's patch since I'm sure it won't apply cleanly with the SPI changes in place. So, if you don't mind, could you take a look at adding optional autowires?

Here is what needs to be done:

1. Change the autowire annotation to default to required true (obvious)

2. The implementation processing framework needs to be updated to introspect autowire annotations and update ReferenceDefinition.setRequired(). ReferenceDefinition is used to represent references in general, and autowires in particular, which are treated as a type. There are several processors which may need updating. One is ImplementationProcessorServiceImpl.

3. SystemComponentBuilder needs to be modified to deal with ReferenceDefinition.isRequired() for autowires and pass that to the SystemOutboundAutowire constructor (which will need to be modified to add a required field) as it creates system wires.

4. SystemOutboundAutowire when it resolves the autowire will throw an exception if its required field is true.

Let me know if I can help out.

Jim