I think this is asking for trouble for several reasons. We really should have one definitive source for the build. These artifacts are bound to break and there is no realistic way to verify that they work short of loading them in the tool they were intended for.

There is still only one definitive build - the Maven one. All the others are just (unverifiable) artifacts that may work for some developers. The compensating factor here is that presumably some active developers are using them and will keep them current and working.

I'm not sure it's definitive anymore due to all of the "hidden" requirements you mentioned below...Hoping people keep artifacts up to date is what I don't like as they will invariably break since they are not verifiable.

Alternatively, if we want to keep the policy of no-IDE-specific artifacts at all, then we should bite the bullet on workarounds and say that the Maven build is definitive and that IDE setup is the responsibility of each developer - i.e. they need to set their IDE to work with the environment as defined by the Maven build.

I prefer the current policy of having Maven categorically determine the state of the build. My opinion is we should not allow checkins of unverifiable artifacts.

The problem is that we have requirements on checked in artifacts (the Maven POM's) that are not verifiable using the Maven build - requirements such as we can't use Maven's resource filtering because Eclipse also copies resources and does not filter them, or Eclipse cannot support the resource paths that Maven uses. There may be others (for example, I don't know how or if Eclipse recognizes code generated as part of the Maven build).

That to me just seems wrong. We chose Maven to be our build system and we should use its features. If a particular IDE can't handle a basic thing thing such as resource filtering we shouldn't be restricted by that limitation as long as there are reasonable alternatives (and there are, e.g. IntelliJ; I switched exactly because of these types of issues :-) ). Besides, checkins have to be run through the mvn command line build process, not through an IDE.

Jim

This means people can make improvements to the build or project layout that are fine with Maven and the definitive build but which, for some reason, make Eclipse unhappy.

--
Jeremy