On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:45 PM, Raymond Feng wrote:

Hi,

I raised a similar issue on this list before but I didn't get any responses. When I debugged a test case from Rick today, I found it was due to same problem.

Let's assume we have composite level reference with Axis2 web service binding.

<reference name="RemoteInteropDocService">
<!-- interface.wsdl interface="http://soapinterop.org/ #wsdl.interface(DocTestPortType)"/ -->
   <interface.java interface="org.soapinterop.DocTestPortType"/>
<binding.ws endpoint="http://soapinterop.org/#wsdl.endpoint (interopDocSvc/interopDocPort)" location="wsdl/interopdoc.wsdl"/>
</reference>

Physically, there are two service contracts involved for this reference.

1) The interface declared in <interface.xxx>. I assume it's for the inbound wiring. For example, you can have a reference at a component being wired to this reference (
component.reference --> composite.reference).

2) The WSDL portType used by the <binding.ws>. It really defines the contract for the outgoing request. With Axis2, AXIOM is the databinding. If a portType is not declared for binding.ws, we should derive it from the interface.xxx (Java2WSDL could be used for interface.java).

We may have two cases (SC: ServiceContract):

a) component.reference (SC1) --> composite.reference (SC2) --> Axis2 web service (SC3) b) composite.reference (SC2) --> Axis2 web service (SC3) (CompositeContext.locateService(<compositeReferenceName>) is used to make the invocation)

In case a), the DataBindingInterceptor will be added to the wire (to be precise, SC1.outbound wire) if SC1 and SC2 require some mappings.

But we don't have a way to add a DataBindingInterceptor between SC2 and SC3. As a result, case b) is failing (Rick's test case). I have tried to do this in the BindingBuilder but it doesn't seem to be very straightforward with the following observations.

1) Wires are created for Reference by the WireService after the Reference instance is created by a builder.
2) No outbound wire is created for Reference.
3) WirePostProcessor is not triggered for case b).

One thing I can think of is to allow the builder to set an optional outbound service contract for the Reference and the WireService will create the outbound wire for Reference in this case. And the TargetInvoker should be added to the outbound wire instead of inbound wire. During connecting, the Connector will trigger the WirePostProcessor to mediate the inbound wire and outbound wire. Then we have a chance to add a DataBindingInterceptor to mediate SC2 and SC3.
On the issue of the outbound wire added to a composite reference you are right, there should be one. I spoke to Ignacio about this since it touches on some of the callback and composite reference work but since I've been out, he should have the latest on if this was added in (I'm guessing not). If not, I'm sure either he or I can look into doing that over the next day or so. In any event, the only case I can think of where we need a mediation "inside" a reference is when the interface is not compatible with the binding WSDL.

One further question: what d you mean by "CompositeContext.locateService(<compositeReferenceName>) is used to make the invocation"?

Jim

Any thoughts?